Monday, August 31, 2009

Thoughts on a Sabbatical: My Last Day in Webster

Today was my last day in Webster. It was a quiet day, mostly annual physicals with patients I have known for many years. All are very excited to hear that I am going to Washington, most have somewhat overblown ideas about what I am going to do, all are proud that "their" doctor was selected to go and many are sad that I won't be there to hear where they are going to college. Sad, and yet wonderful, to think that I have been privileged to be part of the lives of so many children and families for the last 18 years. If any of my Webster folks are reading this, I just want to thank you for making me a better doctor.

As I said earlier, I intend to keep the blog going, at least for a while, so I wanted to mention one last thing about the CBHI. One of the last families I saw were sisters, 10 and 18, members of the family who meeting I missed last week. I asked the mother how she was liking the work with the CSA so far, and she was incredibly effusive in her praise:
  • "They focus on the whole situation, the whole family, not just the child in front of you".
  • "They have be really helpful in sorting out the services that my sons need"
  • "For single mothers especially those without much of an outside support system, they are wonderful"
The mother works in the early childhood capacity, and she told me that her Center was planning to screen for kids with behavior problems.

Progress. Keep it up, CSAs.

I'll blog again after we get to DC.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map