Saturday, December 13, 2008

Blogging One Year On: What Have I Learned So Far.

I noticed that week that it has been one year since my initial foray into blogosphere.  I started the blog in part as a way to chronicle my Physician Advocacy Fellowship, in part to share information that I was acquiring in dribs and drabs about the implementation of the Rosie D. case and the progress of children's mental health reform in Massachusetts and in part to get me to put words on a page in an environment a bit less harsh than that of the academic literature.  So, here we are, 186 posts later (about one every other day) with a regular audience of 10-20 hits daily, mostly within Massachusetts and surrounding states, and blog that has kept me in touch with the movement for Children's Mental Health reform in Massachusetts through the improbable rise of Barack Obama.  What have I learned:
1)  Blogging is an effective way to share information within a small group of dedicated activists.  The blog has been used by hundreds of people seeking information, and is read in the State House as well as in the Berkshires.
2)  Blogging can be an effective way of sharing information with folks behind the firewalls.  I'm a doctor, with no special connections to the organs of power.  I can meet with the folks who make decisions, but it often involves driving to Boston and parking.   Blogging is more efficient.
3)  Interest in blogs grows as they become more useful.  My links are numerous, and I try to comment on what is going on the world.
4)  Blogging in realtime is helpful to folks who can't make the meeting.
I've probably learned more things, but they haven't made the cut.  Going to sleep now.  Please make sure that you keep on reading.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map