Friday, July 10, 2009

Lots of Kids Need the CBHI: I Wonder How the System is Doing.

As I have have said, I am mostly a primary care pediatrician.   That said,  I keep giving out information about the CBHI to families who come into the office for reasons not at all related to their mental health problems.  A grandmother today brought in her granddaughter for a cough, and in the course of our discussion, I discovered that the little girl was now on a third psychotropic medication for her difficult behaviors.  That grandmother left with treatment for her cold and with the words "Children's Behavioral Health Initiative" on a card to try to get Home-Based Behavioral Therapy for the child's mother.  Then there are the children who come in for annual physicals who, I think, would benefit from the new services.  Most of them have therapists and some even have psychologists;  the families could just use more.  Then, there are children like the one whose mother called today- he's three years old, his behaviors are out of control and he needs to be evaluated and his mother needs support.  I sent him into the system as well-  I think that he will end up in the CBHI.

So I am sending the patients into the system;  time will tell us how they end up.  Any stories from the CSAs?  How are you all doing at finding them all of the services that they need?

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map